NY Health Access About Us   |   Contact Us Empire Justice Center Legal Aid Society NYLAG WNYLC

Transition Rights after Enrolling in or Switching MLTC plans - 2022 Changes

print  Print
share  Share
Views: 3013
Posted: 25 Feb, 2022
by Valerie Bogart (New York Legal Assistance Group)
Updated: 14 Aug, 2022
by Valerie Bogart (New York Legal Assistance Group)

This article can also be downloaded as a Fact Sheet  here

If you received Medicaid personal care or Consumer-Directed Personal Assistance (CDPAP) services, and then you were required to enroll in or transfer to a different Managed Long Term Care plan, your new Plan must continue to authorize the same amount and type of home care services you received in your previous plan, or that you received from your local Medicaid agency.  This is known as your right to "continuity of care” or “transition” rights.

But this is only required for a limited amount of time.   The new Plan is permitted to review your case and even attempt to cut your hours after the transition period.  It is likely you can successfully challenge any attempts to reduce services, but it is necessary for you to be prepared for this process so that you can protect your services.

This fact sheet explains:

A.   What are Continuity of Care or Transition Rights and how long do they last?

B.  When do you have Transition Rights?   

  C.  Grounds for a Plan to Involuntarily Disenroll you  

D.  What are your rights after the Transition Period ends - Changes After Nov. 8, 2021

E.  Advocacy tips if Hours are Reduced after Transition Period

F.  Get Help

Download this article as a fact sheet here

A.      What are continuity of care rights? 

Transition or continuity of care rights mean that your Managed Long Term Care [“MLTC”] plan must give you the same type and amount of Medicaid services that you received before you enrolled in your current plan.  Transition rights are required in all types of Medicaid managed care plans.  42 C.F.R. § 438.62 and NY Public Health Law § 4403, subd. 6(f).  See more here. This article focuses on MLTC, Medicaid Advantage Plus (MAP) and PACE plans.  

How Long is the “Continuity of Care Period” or “Transition Period?"
Your MLTC plan must continue the same services with the same hours for 90 days, with one exception: the Transition Period is 120 days if you switched to a different plan because your old MLTC plan closed.  When mandatory MLTC started in 2012, the transition period was only 60 days, but it was extended to 90 days in 2013.  See 
 MLTC Policy 13.10: Communication with Recipients Seeking Enrollment and Continuity of Care and CMS Special Terms & Conditions  1115 Waiver (Web) (PDF) (Oct. 2021) (Article V(4)(g) at pp. 32-33).


Transition rights are granted when  you were receiving Medicaid personal care or CDPAP services, and then were required to enroll in an MLTC plan or switch to a different MLTC plan.  There are FOUR situations where you would have Transition rights. 

  1. You received personal care or CDPAP from your local Medicaid office, such as through the Immediate Need program, for more than 120 days. (See Fact Sheet on Immediate need). After 120 days of receiving services from the local Medicaid office, you will likely receive a notice from NY Medicaid Choice telling you to select an MLTC plan.  The notice will give you a choice of plans. If you don’t pick a plan, you will be assigned to an MLTC plan (the most common type of plan; less common types are Medicaid Advantage Plus (MAP) or PACE plans).  The MLTC plan must continue the same home care hours for a 90-day Transition Period. See here.    See where to get help for advice on choosing a plan, and/or to see if you do not have to enroll in an MLTC plan because you qualify for an exemption.

  2. You received Medicaid home care from a Medicaid managed care plan designed for people without Medicare, and you are now Medicare eligible – If you do not have Medicare you may have been enrolled in a mainstream Medicaid managed care health plan, which provides all Medicaid services including personal care, CDPAP, and private duty nursing.  If you received home care from your Medicaid health plan, and then you enroll in Medicare, you are required to enroll in an MLTC or MAP plan.  The MLTC or MAP plan must continue the same plan of care for a 90-Day Transition Period. MLTC Policy 15.02: Transition of Medicaid Managed Care to MLTC.

COVID NOTE - During the pandemic, however, most consumers stayed in their Medicaid managed care plans, which continue to provide their personal care or CDPAP  Eventually those who now have Medicare and receive home care will be required to enroll in an MLTC plan.  However, even during the pandemic, some members of Medicaid managed care plans who are new to Medicare have been transitioned to Medicaid Advantage Plus (MAP) or MLTC plans under “Default Enrollment,” unless they opted out. See this article. 

  1. If your MLTC plan closes or stops providing service in the county that you live in, you must transfer to a new plan. The new plan must continue the same services and hours for a Transition Period of 120 days, not 90 days. See MLTC Policy 17.02: MLTC Plan Transition Process – MLTC Market Alteration.  See  NYLAG Fact sheet and article on plan closings.

  2. If you are involuntarily disenrolled from one MLTC or MAP plan, and assigned to another plan, or referred to the local Medicaid office, the new plan or local Medicaid office must continue the same plan of care for a period of time, which is presumably for 90 days.  Involuntary disenrollments were banned for most of the pandemic.  However, as of fall 2021 NYS is again allowing such disenrollments to resume on four grounds, described  in Section C. below.   All grounds for disenrollment are in the Model MLTC Contract at pages 22-23 of the PDF.

In all cases of involuntary disenrollment the plan must send you a 30-day notice of the planned disenrollment, followed by a 10-day notice from NY Medicaid Choice, which states your right to request a Fair hearing.  Many members will be reassigned to a different MLTC plan after they are disenrolled.   They have transition rights in that plan. 

C.   Reasons for Involuntary Disenrollment from an MLTC Plan 

Involuntary disenrollments were suspended during the COVID pandemic, but NYS DOH is allowing plans to disenroll members again on the following grounds.  Others may resume in 2022.  

  1. You are a Medicaid Advantage Plus (MAP) plan member, but you enroll in a new Medicare Part D drug plan or Medicare Advantage plan - MAP plans combine in one all-in-one plan a "DUAL-SNP" Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan for Dual Eligibles, plus an MLTC plan.  MAP plans cover all Medicare, Medicaid, home care, and pharmacy benefits in one insurance plan. If you are a MAP member and you change Medicare coverage, such as by selecting a new Part D drug plan, you will be disenrolled from your MAP plan.  This is because you are no longer in the DUAL-SNP  that provides the Medicare services in your MAP plan. See more about MAP plans here.  Since April 2021, some Medicaid recipients are "default enrolled" in these plans when they first became enrolled in Medicare, so might not realize they are in a MAP plan.  See this article
  • What happens after disenrollment - Referred to local Medicaid office (Dept. of Social Services or "LDSS") that should continue the same Plan of Care until the next reassessment. GIS 21 MA/17 - Managed Long Term Care’s Involuntary Disenrollment Resumption (August 18, 2021)
  1. You move to a different county in NYS that is out of the MLTC plan's service area.  Most MLTC plans only serve certain counties.  If you move to a county that is not served by your plan, and notify your local Medicaid office (HRA in NYC) of the change of address, you will be disenrolled from your old MLTC plan. 
  • What happens after disenrollment - Referred to local Medicaid office (Dept. of Social Services or "LDSS") that should continue the same Plan of Care until the next reassessment. See  GIS 21 MA/17 - Managed Long Term Care’s Involuntary Disenrollment Resumption (August 18, 2021) and undated Memo to Health Plan Administrators.  Alternately, call NY Medicaid Choice  at 1-888-401-6582 about transferring to an MLTC plan in the new county. 
  • TIP:  Transferring Medicaid and MLTC services to a different county can be a complicated process.  The procedure in this guidance should avoid disruption in coverage.  See 2008 LCM-01 - Continued Medicaid Eligibility for Recipients Who Change Residency (Luberto v. Daines).  
  • In NYC,  to notify HRA of a move to a different county, fax a signed MAP- 751k form (3/15/21) to 1-917-639-0837 or email by encrypted email to  undercareproviderrelations@hra.nyc.gov.  The form is  posted in multiple languages on HRA site here.   Be sure to mention on the form that requesting LUBERTO transfer for individual enrolled in an MLTC, MAP or PACE plan, and the name of the plan.  Also call NY Medicaid Choice  at 1-888-401-6582 about transferring to an MLTC plan in the new county. 
  1. You or your family member's behavior impairs plan's ability to provide services (disenrollments begin Jan. 1, 2022) for MAP, PACE & MLTC. See GIS 21 MA/24 (plan must submit names of home care agencies used and results of service attempts).
  • What happens after disenrollment -- member reassigned to new MLTC plan if disenrolled.  GIS 21 MA/24 
  1. You were absent from the service area for more than 30 consecutive days (90 days for Wellcare Fidelis Dual Plus MAP only). (disenrollments begin Jan. 1, 2022). See GIS 21 MA/24 and amended list of MAP plans that may initiate disenrollment on this ground -- Attachment I  of GIS 22 MA/03 (May 16, 2022)

Plan must submit form to NY Medicaid Choice stating last date of contact with enrollee.  Member notified that they may transfer to a different MLTC plan.  If no response from member, member disenrolled to local district which must continue same plan of care until they reassess. 

  • What happens after disenrollment if member does not respond to contact from  NY Medicaid Choice asking them to select a plan in their new service area, they are refered to the local Medicaid office (LDSS) which must continue same plan of care until they reassess.  GIS 21 MA/24

WARNING:  Consumers were allowed to pause home care during COVID, if they went to stay with family or wanted to limit exposure to home care aides.  See COVID-19 Guidance for Voluntary Plan of Care Schedule Change  issued April 23, 2020  (Web) (PDF) Those consumers should be given a chance to reinstate services before they are disenrolled on this ground. See NYLAG Know Your Rights Fact Sheet for MLTC Members about this guidance allowing voluntary pause of services. 

  1.  Member in a nursing home for 3+ months AND was determined eligible for Institutional Medicaid.  See this article for info on notices member and their representative should receive before disenrollment and appeal rights.  
  2. Did not receive any of seven MLTC Community-Based Long Term Care (CB-LTC) services in the prior calendar month -  On May 16, 2022,  DOH Issued  GIS 22 MA/03 - Managed Long Term Care Involuntary Disenrollment Resumption - Additional Reason to authorize enrollments on this ground  effective July 1, 2022, with disenrollment notices to be sent by plan 30 days before.  The GIS lists the seven services considered CB-LTC. This ground is not listed in the Model MLTC Contract (pages 22-23 of the PDF), which might be a basis to challenge disenrollment.  Also, if  the consumer did not receive services because of the aide shortage,  this should be raised as a defense.   Also, see here for those who voluntarily paused services because of COVID.   
  3. Other reasons for involuntary disenrollment have not yet resumed after being halted because of COVID.  These include not paying the spend-down to the plan,  or being hospitalized for 45 daysAll grounds for disenrollment are in the Model MLTC Contract (pages 22-23 of the PDF).

D.    What are your Rights after the TRANSITION PERIOD ENDS?  Changes After Nov. 8, 2021

As background, MLTC plans may generally reduce your hours of home care services only for reasons allowed by state regulations. The reasons a plan may reduce hours are stated in a State policy MLTC Policy 16.06: Guidance on Notices Proposing to Reduce or Discontinue Personal Care or CDPAP Services.  This policy was issued in settlement of litigation, and reaffirms the application of due process principles established for Medicaid home care in 1996 to MLTC plans.  Mayer v. Wing, 922 F. Supp. 902 (S.D.N.Y. 1996).  A plan may reduce your hours only if the plan alleges and proves that your medical condition improved, your social circumstances changed, or in very limited situations, if a mistake was made in the earlier authorization.  The plan must show that this change reduces your need for home care.

Before Nov. 8, 2021 – The same MLTC Policy 16.06 that restricts a plan’s ability to reduce your hours generally also applied after a Transition Period ended.  A plan could reduce your hours after the Transition Period ended only if they could prove that a major change in your condition or circumstances occurred since your hours were previously authorized by your old plan or by the Medicaid office if you received Immediate Need home care. The new Plan would have to explain why this change reduces your need for home care. 

After Nov. 8, 2021 – A change in a state regulation allows MLTC plans to reduce your hours after the Transition Period if the Plan determines that the previous plan or Medicaid agency gave you “more services than are medically necessary,” without proving any change.  The Plan’s notice proposing to reduce your services need only "indicate a clinical rationale that shows review of the client’s specific clinical data and medical condition."  18 NYCRR Sec.  505.14(b)(4)(viii)(c)(3)(vii), 505.28(i)(4)(iii)(h) as amended  eff. 11/8/21 (posted here - at pp. 60 and 137).   The Plan no longer has to prove that you need less home care for one of the reasons in MLTC Policy 16.06.  

  • NYLAG, along with the NYSBA and other organizations submitted extensive comments opposing these and other changes in the regulations. See Point 11, pp. 29-32 of NYLAG commentsNOTE: Most other changes in the state regulations will not go into effect until 2022 or later, even though the official effective date is Nov. 8, 2021.  This includes new restrictions on eligibility for personal care or CDPAP and new "Independent Assessor" procedures described here. See DOH summary of which changes go into effect on Nov. 8th, 2021 (Recording) - (PDF) and new  NYS DOH Independent Assessor webpage

What has NOT changed- If your new plan wants to reduce or end services after the Transition Period, the plan must still give you:

  1. A letter called an “Initial Adverse Determination” (IAD) REDUCTION notice (PDF) at least 10 days before reducing services.  If you request a Plan Appeal before the effective date of the reduction, your services will not be reduced while the appeal is pending (this is known as “Aid Continuing”).  But this does not mean your fight is over.  Seek help from the resources listed below.  
  2. If you lose your appeal, the Plan should send you a “Final Adverse Determination” REDUCTION  (PDF) notice at least 10 days before the reduction takes effect.  If you request a Fair Hearing before the effective date, you will have Aid Continuing, so your services will not be reduced while the fair hearing is pending.  Seek help from the resources listed below.

Remember:  These new rules only allow a plan to reduce hours more freely after a Transition Period ends.  Any other reductions in hours must be for one of the reasons stated in MLTC Policy 16.06. Seek help from resources listed below.

See more about MLTC Appeals and Hearings here


  1. If you receive an Initial Adverse Determination (IAD) (PDF) request a PLAN APPEAL right away to get Aid Continuing.  Beware - Plan may mistakenly use a DENIAL notice (PDF) instead of a REDUCTION notice (PDF).  DENIAL notices have no right to Aid Continuing.  If this happens, tell plan they must provide Aid Continuing, and Get Help below. 
  2. If you receive a Final Adverse Determination (FAD) (PDF) --request a Fair Hearing right away to get Aid Continuing.  Beware - Plan may mistakenly use a DENIAL FAD notice (PDF) instead of a REDUCTION FAD notice (PDF).  DENIAL FAD notices have no right to Aid Continuing.  If this happens, ask for Aid Continuing in the Fair Hearing request and contact the NYS Office of Temporary & Disability Assistance to explain why. Get Help below. 
  3. After you make these requests, if you want help in the appeal or hearing, get help from organizations listed below.
    • In the plan appeal or fair hearing, say that the new Plan has the burden of proof of producing the previous records from the Local Medicaid office or previous plan.  These records should be necessary at both levels of appeal for the Plan to prove that you receive more hours than medically necessary; the Plan should not be able to reduce services without producing these records.
    • Consumers receiving Immediate Need services from the Local Medicaid office should ask their Medicaid office for their complete home care file.   Those receiving home care from a mainstream managed care health plan and become enrolled in Medicare should ask the health plan for their home care file. This may be useful later to refute a new plan's claim that the hours authorized previously were not medically necessary.  
  5. Despite the change in the regulations, advocates believe that due process still forbids plans from reducing hours unless there was a change since the hours were first authorized.  Changes could be that the consumer's medical condition improved, social circumstances changed, or a mistake was made in the previous assessment.  See  above and MLTC Policy 16.06. Consumers should raise this argument in all appeals and fair hearings and get help, below. 



ICAN – Independent Consumer Assistance Network – 
Ombudsprogram for MLTC

(844) 614-8800  
TTY:  711 


New York City

CSS – Community Health Advocates                                            

(888) 614-5500

New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG)

  • NYLAG General Intake

(212) 613-5000        

  • NYLAG Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Prog. (Mon. 10 AM - 2 PM)       

(212) 613-7310              eflrp@nylag.org

QUEENS - JASA/ Queens Legal Services for Elder Justice

(718) 286-1500

Legal Services NYC (citywide) (M – F -- 10 AM – 4 PM) 

(917) 661-4500

The Legal Aid Society                                                    

(888) 663-6880


Empire Justice Center                     



(800) 724-0490 x 5822

Center for Elder Law & Justice  --  Serves 10 counties in western NY:  Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Livingston, Niagara, Orleans, Steuben, Wyoming

(716) 853-3087

Use www.lawhelpNY.org to find other local legal services

ICAN – Independent Consumer Assistance Network – 
Ombudsprogram for MLTC

(844) 614-8800  
TTY:  711 



Fact sheet for this article posted at http://www.wnylc.com/health/download/797/

Check here for updates!

This article was authored by the Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program of New York Legal Assistance Group.


Attached files
item Transition Period changes Fact Sheet - updated 8-1-22.pdf (950 kb) Download

Also read
item Medicaid Personal Care or Home Attendant Services
item Medicaid Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) in New York State
item Transition Rights in Managed Care Plans - Rights of New Enrollees to Continue Receiving Services
item Managed Long Term Care
item KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: Managed Long Term Care - Fact Sheets, Live and Recorded Webinars
item "Immediate Need" Fast-Track Application for Medicaid and Personal Care or CDPAP - Independent Assessor Starts Dec. 1, 2022
item When an MLTC Plan Closes - What are the Members' Rights? WARNING - Changes Now in Effect

Also listed in
folder Medicaid -> Medicaid Managed Care

Prev     Next
Transition Rights in Managed Care Plans - Rights of New...       When an MLTC Plan Closes - What are the Members' Rights? WARNING...

This site provides general information only. This is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer. In addition, your use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. To contact a lawyer, visit http://lawhelpny.org. We make every effort to keep these materials and links up-to-date and in accordance with New York City, New York state and federal law. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this information. To report a dead link or other website-related problem, please e-mail us.