NY Health Access About Us   |   Contact Us Empire Justice Center Legal Aid Society NYLAG WNYLC
print  Print


  • SADC
    Social Adult Day Care (aka "social model") - SADC is a structured program designed to support the physical, mental, social and emotional functioning of frail adults or those with a cognitive disorder.  Unlike Adult Day Health Care ("medical model"), which is provided in a healthcare facility supervised by doctors, SADC is provided in non-medical settings.  It is not covered by fee-for-service Medicaid, but is available under the Lombardi and NHTD waivers, and under Managed Long-Term Care (all flavors).
  • SNA
    Safety Net Assistance - A cash public assistance (aka welfare) program in New York State that provides benefits to eligible individuals and certain families who do not qualify for Family Assistance or other federal Temporary Assistance programs.
  • SNP
    Special Needs Plan - There are two very different programs that go by the name Special Needs Plan:
    • Medicaid SNP - Medicaid managed care plans designed specifically for people with HIV/AIDS. They provide access to medical staff specifically trained to handle HIV/AIDS as well as specialized support services, testing, case management and information on clinical trials.
    • Medicare SNP - Medicare Advantage plans that are tailored to serve particular sub-groups of Medicare beneficiaries.  Some are catered to dual eligibles (those with Medicare & Medicaid), some to nursing home residents, and some for people with chronic medical conditions.
  • SNT

    Supplemental Needs Trust - A legal tool used to help disabled people keep more of their income or assets without losing their public benefits.  The technical definition is that they are irrevocable, spendthrift trusts that comply with the provisions of 42 U.S.C. § 1396p(d)(4).  There are two types: individual SNTs and pooled SNTs.  An SNT can also be a third-party trust, where the money is provided by someone other than the beneficiary.

  • Specialty care center
    A medical center that focuses on a specific illness.
  • Spend-down
    AKA surplus income or excess income.  Some categories of Medicaid applicants can obtain Medicaid in spite of having income above the income limit.  Before Medicaid will cover the cost of services for these individuals, they must incur medical expenses that offset their excess income.  Medicaid Reference Guide, Income, at 239-242.
  • Spousal refusal
    Ordinarily, when a married individual applies for Medicaid, the income and resources of their spouse are also counted, because spouses are Legally Responsible Relatives for each other.  However, an individual may prevent their spouse's income/resources from being counted if the spouse signs a statement indicating their refusal to make their income/resources available for their spouse's medical care.  This is called a spousal refusal.
  • SSA
    Social Security Administration - The Federal government agency that administers Social Security benefits, including Retirement and Survivors Insurance, Disability Insurance, and Supplemental Security Income.
  • SSI-Related
    A category of Medicaid eligibility in New York State covering those who are aged (65 or over), blind, or disabled (as defined by the Social Security Administration).  Also known as Disabled Aged Blind (DAB).  This is DIFFERENT than those who receive Medicaid because they receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.  An individual does NOT need to receive SSI to be eligible for Medicaid under the SSI-related/DAB category.
  • Standing referral
    A referral for a fixed number of visits to a specific health care provider. Unlike a regular referral, it is good for more than one visit.

This site provides general information only. This is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer. In addition, your use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. To contact a lawyer, visit http://lawhelpny.org. We make every effort to keep these materials and links up-to-date and in accordance with New York City, New York state and federal law. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this information. To report a dead link or other website-related problem, please e-mail us.