NY Health Access About Us   |   Contact Us Empire Justice Center Legal Aid Society NYLAG WNYLC
print  Print


  • SNT

    Supplemental Needs Trust - A legal tool used to help disabled people keep more of their income or assets without losing their public benefits.  The technical definition is that they are irrevocable, spendthrift trusts that comply with the provisions of 42 U.S.C. § 1396p(d)(4).  There are two types: individual SNTs and pooled SNTs.  An SNT can also be a third-party trust, where the money is provided by someone other than the beneficiary.

  • Specialty care center
    A medical center that focuses on a specific illness.
  • Spend-down
    AKA surplus income or excess income.  Some categories of Medicaid applicants can obtain Medicaid in spite of having income above the income limit.  Before Medicaid will cover the cost of services for these individuals, they must incur medical expenses that offset their excess income.  Medicaid Reference Guide, Income, at 239-242.
  • Spousal refusal
    Ordinarily, when a married individual applies for Medicaid, the income and resources of their spouse are also counted, because spouses are Legally Responsible Relatives for each other.  However, an individual may prevent their spouse's income/resources from being counted if the spouse signs a statement indicating their refusal to make their income/resources available for their spouse's medical care.  This is called a spousal refusal.
  • SSA
    Social Security Administration - The Federal government agency that administers Social Security benefits, including Retirement and Survivors Insurance, Disability Insurance, and Supplemental Security Income.
  • SSI-Related
    A category of Medicaid eligibility in New York State covering those who are aged (65 or over), blind, or disabled (as defined by the Social Security Administration).  Also known as Disabled Aged Blind (DAB).  This is DIFFERENT than those who receive Medicaid because they receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.  An individual does NOT need to receive SSI to be eligible for Medicaid under the SSI-related/DAB category.
  • Standing referral
    A referral for a fixed number of visits to a specific health care provider. Unlike a regular referral, it is good for more than one visit.
  • TANF
    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - A federally funded program that provides cash assistance to low income families.
  • TBI waiver
    Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver Program - A Medicaid waiver program in New York State which provides services for people diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, or other related diagnosis, to allow them to remain in their homes. Services covered by this wavier can include service coordination, independent living skills and training, structured day programs, substance abuse programs, intensive behavioral programs, community integration counseling, home and community support services, environmental modifications, respite care, assistive technology, transportation, and community transition services.
  • transfer penalty
    An applicant for Medicaid coverage of a nursing home stay will be subject to a transfer penalty if they gave away money or property within a certain period of time (the "look-back period") before applying for Medicaid.  If a transfer is found during a look-back period that does not fall under one of the Medicaid exemptions, then a penalty period is calculated based on the amount of money transferred. The penalty is a certain number of months, beginning when the applicant is in the nursing home and applies for Medicaid, during which Medicaid will not pay for the nursing home care.
  • Unearned income
    Income received that is not compensation for work performed by the recipient.  It includes Social Security benefits, interest, dividends, pensions, annuities, retirement account distributions, worker's compensation, unemployment insurance, and gifts.

Prev Next →
1 2 3

This site provides general information only. This is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer. In addition, your use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. To contact a lawyer, visit http://lawhelpny.org. We make every effort to keep these materials and links up-to-date and in accordance with New York City, New York state and federal law. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this information. To report a dead link or other website-related problem, please e-mail us.