NY Health Access About Us   |   Contact Us Empire Justice Center Legal Aid Society NYLAG WNYLC

HRA Corrects Illegal Practice of Denying "Spousal Impoverishment" Income Allowance to Some Spouses of Nursing Home Residents

04 Mar, 2014

A  community spouse is entitled to the community spouse monthly income allowance (CSMIA) even if she does a spousal refusal to contribute resources.   However, since mid-2012, the NYC HRA Medicaid program has violated this longstanding state rule and has denied the community spouse this income allowance if she executed a spousal refusal. 

In December 2013, the Elder Law Section of the NYS Bar Association asked HRA to cease this unlawful practice of denying this impoverishment allowance.  For copy of letter please click here

On Dec. 24, 2013, HRA issued 2013 MAP-INF 04 which correctly states that the community spouse is entitled to the CSMIA even if she does a spousal refusal, if she provides complete information regarding income and resources.  For links to these documents and to the letters from the NYSBA and HRA, click here.  

HRA has retrained all relevant staff, including Fair Hearing representatives, and is rebudgeting 600  cases approved or renewed since October 2012.   HRA's counsel asks anyone who needs rebudgeting to request a Fair Hearing conference by calling 718-637-2426.   If your case is not resolved after contacting this unit, please contact Valerie Bogart at vbogart@nylag.org, Co-Chair of the Medicaid Committee of the NYSBA Elder Law Section.

For more info please click here.  

print  Print   Share

This site provides general information only. This is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer. In addition, your use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. To contact a lawyer, visit http://lawhelpny.org. We make every effort to keep these materials and links up-to-date and in accordance with New York City, New York state and federal law. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this information. To report a dead link or other website-related problem, please e-mail us.