NY Health Access About Us   |   Contact Us Empire Justice Center Legal Aid Society NYLAG WNYLC

Where to Apply for Medicaid and Medicaid Home Care in New York City

print  Print
share  Share
Views: 108315
Posted: 20 Jul, 2009
by Valerie Bogart (New York Legal Assistance Group)
Updated: 03 Apr, 2020
by Valerie Bogart (New York Legal Assistance Group)

COVID-19 ALERT - Many Medicaid offices are closed during the emergency.  

Changes in how people apply for and receive Medicaid personal care services occurred in September 2012, followed by major changes for how all people under age 65 applied for Medicaid in 2014, when the NY State of Health Exchange was launched to accept Medicaid applications under the Affordable Care Act.  

There are 2 main ways of accessing Medicaid, depending on age, Medicare status, and some other factors.

A.    People age 65+ or younger if they are disabled and have Medicare  -- they apply for Medicaid at offices of New York City's Medicaid program is run by the Human Resources Administration (HRA)  Medical Insurance and Community Services Administration (MICSA). 

B.  People under age 65 who do not have Medicare, and those who have Medicare and live with and take care of a dependent child or other relative apply on the NYS of Health Exchange.   

 * * *

A.   Age 65+, or under 65 with a disability and receive Medicare --

There are two networks of offices to apply for Medicaid in the community, depending on whether you are seeking Medicaid for home care (whether through Managed Long Term Care  or "Immediate Need" or otherwise for those exempt from MLTC)  or NOT seeking home care.  

         (1)   Community Medicaid offices -  process applications for Medicaid with a "spend-down," the Medicaid Buy-In
for People with Disabilities
, and the Medicare Savings Program  

          (2)  Home Care Services Program (CASA) - DO NOT FILE application directly with any CASA office.  Instead 

A.  WHERE TO FILE Medicaid applications for adults age 21+ who have Medicare and who will be seeking Medicaid Managed Long Term Care services:

HRA--HCSP Central Medicaid Unit  - MAIL HERE 

785 Atlantic Avenue, 7th Floor  

Brooklyn, NY 11238                              T: 929-221-0849


OUTSIDE COVID EMERGENCY - FILE ion the 1st floor WINDOW 16- Recommended that you file it in PERSON and get your copy STAMPED received. 

Please see NYC Medicaid Alert dated January 3, 2013 explaining the relocation of the Central Medicaid Unit and other home care services programs within HRA.

B.  WHERE TO File Medicaid applications and M11q forms, for those EXCLUDED from Managed Long Term Care and seeking "regular" personal care or housekeeping services -- 

  1. those who need only Housekeeping services - maximum 8 hours/week, not full personal care, or
  2. in the Nursing Home Transition, OPWDD or TBI Waivers, or
  3. do NOT have Medicare and are not in a "mainstream" Medicaid managed care plan, so are not required to enroll in an MLTC plan or
  4. under age 21, or
  5. in hospice care (and are excluded from enrolling in MLTC)
NYC HRA Home Care Services Program
Central Intake
132 W. 125th St.,5th Fl.
New York, NY 10027
Phone: 212-665-1893
Fax: 212-666-1747

C.   WHERE TO FILE MEDICAID APPLICATION if  you are an adult age 21+ and have Medicare and you have an "IMMEDIATE NEED" for personal care services or consumer-directed personal assistance services.
            E-Fax a copy of the complete application and all documents to HRA HCSP  1-917-639-0665;  The office that processes the application is  the following, but they prefer you file by e-fax not in person or by mail: 
HRA--Home Care Services Program Central Medicaid Unit 
785 Atlantic Avenue, 7th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11238

(3)     Hospitals often apply for Medicaid for people admitted for inpatient care.  They apply directly to the Hospital Eligibility Unit at the main administrative offices at  785 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn NY, or through the NYS of Health Exchange.

(4)    Nursing Home Medicaid -- Since 2006 changes in the law, you may only apply for Medicaid nursing home coverage once you have been admitted to a nursing home.  

  • For those who did not have Medicaid at all before entering the Nursing Home, or who had Medicaid through the NYS of Health Exchange, or who are in a mainstream Medicaid managed care plan,  these applications are filed at the:

HRA Medicaid Program
Nursing Home Eligibility Department
785 Atlantic Ave.,
Brooklyn NY 11238
  • If you were in a Managed Long Term Care plan at the time you entered the nursing home, and will be applying for Nursing Home Medicaid, then your Medicaid application is filed with: 

HRA--HCSP Central Medicaid Unit 

785 Atlantic Avenue, 7th Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11238                              T: 929-221-0849

B.       NYState of Health Exchange --

Apply online for Medicaid if you do not have Medicare, or if you have   Medicare and have a dependent child or other relative living with you. 

  • Call  1-855-355-5777,visit nystateofhealth.ny.gov or contact NY State of Health Assistor/ navigator  to
    learn more

  • The Exchange is for people  in the "MAGI" categories - families and children, singles and couples, generally people under age 65 who do not have Medicare.   People with disabilities may be MAGI if they do not have Medicare, but may also apply at HRA/DSS Medicaid offices using the old budgeting rules if it is more favorable to them.   

  • Health Care for All New York coalition - interactive Marketplace eligibility questionnaire

    Click here for an interactive Marketplace eligibility questionnaire, designed to help enrollment assistors and consumers better assess their potential eligibility for Marketplace coverage based on immigration status, age and income. This questionnaire is not an official assessment of eligibility. To receive an official determination of eligibility contact the New York State of Health Marketplace at http://www.nystateofhealth.ny.gov or 1-855-355-5777

    • This tool was created jointly by the Children's Defense Fund - New York, the Empire Justice Center, and the Community Service Society through their work in the Health Care for All New York coalition.

C.    See this list of  Other Medicaid (MICSA) contacts 

D.      Other pathways to Medicaid --

  •           Job Centers - People applying for or receiving cash assistance through the state Safety Net program or Temporary Aid to Needy Families Program may also receive Medicaid and Food Stamps by applying at these centers.

  •           SSI --  Anyone receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, even if only $1 in benefits, automatically receives Medicaid without having to separately apply for Medicaid. 

This article was authored by the Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program of New York Legal Assistance Group.


Attached files
item MICSA Contact List 12-2013.pdf (50 kb) Download
item MICSA Directory (08-06-13).pdf (3.07 mb) Download
item Medicaid phone list.pdf (224 kb) Download

Also read
item Medicaid Personal Care or Home Attendant Services
item CASA Contact List - NYC
item Managed Long Term Care
item NYS Medicaid Application Form (updated 2021) for Age 65+ or Disabled or Blind - New Supp A NYC 2021
item KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: Fact Sheet Explaining Basic Rules on NYS Financial Medicaid Eligibility for People who are Disabled, Aged 65+, or Blind
item Delays in Processing of Medicaid Applications - What are Your Rights and Lawsuits Challenging Delays
item Medicaid & MSP: Must apply for Social Security and Enroll in Medicare
item Know Your Rights: NYLAG Webinars on Medicare and Medicaid -
item Medicaid Contacts in New York City (NYC Human Resources Administration - MICSA)

Also listed in
folder Medicaid -> Home Care
folder Medicaid -> Applying For and Keeping Medicaid
folder Medicaid -> NYC Medicaid Contacts, Policies & Forms

Prev     Next
Getting Help with Managed Long Term Care       KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: Fact Sheet Explaining Basic Rules on NYS...

This site provides general information only. This is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer. In addition, your use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. To contact a lawyer, visit http://lawhelpny.org. We make every effort to keep these materials and links up-to-date and in accordance with New York City, New York state and federal law. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of this information. To report a dead link or other website-related problem, please e-mail us.